Wednesday, March 20, 2013
8 ounces button mushrooms
1/2 cup yellow bell pepper
a couple sprigs of thyme
1 teaspoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Roast the mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to 450* F.
- Clean and cut up the mushrooms. We quartered the small and medium ones and cut the larger ones into sixths.
- Toss the mushrooms with 1 teaspoon olive oil and the leaves of a couple sprigs of thyme and then season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the mushroom mixture on a baking sheet. Roast 10 minutes, stir and then roast another 10-15 minutes or until the mushrooms are browned. Set aside to cool (and try not to eat them all!).
Prep the rest of the ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 375* F.
- Butter the sides and bottoms of 6 6-8 ounce ramekins (to keep the muffins from sticking).
- Roughly chop the yellow bell pepper, discarding the seeds and internal membrane. It took about a quarter of ours to make the half cup we wanted, but it was a big thick-walled pepper.
- Break the eggs into a large bowl, season with salt and pepper, then beat well.
Assemble and bake
- Arrange the ramekins on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Pour the eggs from the large bowl into a large pitcher (to make it easy to pour)
- Pour about 4 ounces each of the eggs into each of the ramekins, dividing the liquid evenly between them.
- Sprinkle one-sixth of the mushrooms and peppers onto the eggs.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until fully set.