Monday, April 9, 2012

SEPC 2012 Recap - Day 3

Saturday morning at SEPC started out bright and early at 8am with breakfast and a t-shirt swap. Here are a lot of the cute AXO tees:

trading shirts (photo courtesy of Danielle)

most of the Alpha Chi Omegas at the breakfast source

Chelsea from WCU modeling her great Panhellenic scarf!

After breakfast, I attended another academic section, this one titled "Raising the Bar: Establishing Academic Standards in Your Community" by Rick Barnes. It was a good counterpoint to the talk Stephanie and I gave on Friday. Afterward, I took a short break to write some reports and then volunteered at the Silent Auction, keeping an eye on the action and manning the "buy it now" table. 

My contribution to the silent auction got lots of bids!

The Professionals Luncheon was great fun, thanks to my table-mates who were interesting and spirited. After lunch, I had the pleasure of hearing Stacy Nadeau inspire a huge room of young women. Dove recruited Stacy to model in their Real Beauty campaign, an experience that changed her life. Her messages - that the images of women we see every day are so air-brushed and computer-edited that no one could possibly look like them in real life - and that we, as women, have to start loving ourselves as we are - really resonated with me. This video illustrates her first point:

If you have a chance to see Stacy, don't miss it!

For the last educational session, I previewed Recruitment Boot Camp at a session with fellow Alpha Chi alumna Laurel Peffer. Her advice was specific, realistic and tangible, geared well to her audience. 

SEPC culminates in a Final Banquet, held Saturday evening. The new Conference Coordinators are sworn in and Panhellenics are honored for their accomplishments. This year's speaker was Kathy Betty, (Phi Mu alumna) and owner of the WNBA Team, the Atlanta Dream. Everyone enjoyed her message about taking smart risks and capturing your legacy.

source
I hope you've enjoyed my recap as much as I enjoy this conference!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...