Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Inspired by Convention: Wisdom, Devotion, Achievement Part 3

Welcome to the seventh post in the "Inspired by Alpha Chi Omega Convention" series. Thank you, Jessica Mace, for her generosity in providing a three-part series, themed Wisdom, Devotion, Achievement, including part three today: Achievement.

If you spend any amount of time with me, you find out very quickly that I’m a fan of lists. I love lists, folders, goal setting… all of it! It makes me happy, gives me purpose, and stops me from watching Dance Moms marathons every day.

Well, about two years ago, I had this really neat idea. What if we gathered all of the Alpha Chi’s who have connections to the military and make a virtual alumnae group? Wouldn’t that be amazing?! I thought so, and started sharing with a few people. Minus a few naysayers (They thought we wouldn’t get enough people… HA! 40+members and counting!), everyone was on board. I was even featured as a Real. Strong. Woman of the Month on the Alpha Chi Omega website. National Headquarters provided me as much exposure as they could…but for whatever reason we just couldn’t reach the right people. So the idea was tabled for awhile, but it stayed on my list of goals.

Fast-forward two years, new sisters came in (HUGE shout out to Gina Fox and Liza Hallsten), and we’re finally off the ground! Each new chapter gets installed…some it’s just a matter of getting your certificate in the mail, others have a ceremony. The challenge of a military chapter is that we are literally everywhere. There was no way we could have a ceremony with people attending…UNLESS it was at Convention. We were approved by National Council at their final meeting for 2010-2012, allowing us to be installed in July at Convention!

Friday night, following the Alumnae Initiation, Carol Lutz and Gina Fox installed our military alumnae chapter. At some point during the ceremony, I teared up. I blame it on deploymones (n. the extra surge of hormones and emotions that become nearly impossible to deal with when your husband is deployed). But in actuality, it was just a big moment for both me and the sisters there. Having the chapter installed by the 2012 Convention was my Big Hairy Audacious Goal. And it was complete!


This achievement isn’t something any one of us did. It can attributed to the strength of Alpha Chi Omega, and the military supporters within it. I tried to do it on my own, and it wouldn’t come together. I added the help of my sisters, and it was achieved.

These three moments defined my convention experience. There are so many more that I would love to discuss, so many that impacted me. If you haven’t already, start saving for Convention 2014. I can’t imagine how the experience could get any better, but I’m not going to miss out on the opportunity to find out.

Jessica Mace is an initiate of Gamma Tau chapter at Oklahoma City University. A certified personal trainer and group fitness instructor, she currently serves as Volunteer Placement Coordinator for Alpha Chi Omega, and Vice President of Pi Sigma Pi, Stars and Stripes Alumnae Chapter. Follow her on twitter at @JessicaAMace, and ‘like’ her on facebook at www.facebook.com/JMaceFitness

Like Stars and Stripes Alumnae Chapter on facebook
http://axostarsandstripes.weebly.com/

1 comment:

  1. Former chapter presidents take note ---> this is a president who continues din't stop after her undergrad. term! We're thankful for active, achieving alumnae like Jessica (and all the sisters in Pi Sigma Pi) who stay engaged and connected.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...