Thursday, November 10, 2011

Tender at the Bone - Review

Jennifer sent me Ruth Reichl's Tender at the Bone: Growing up at the Table recently. I was predisposed to like it as I had read another of the author's books, Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise, after Dawn recommended it to me.

Reichl takes you on a journey - her story of the people and experiences that shaped her love of food and all things food related (cooking, baking, restaurants, wine, food writing, and of course eating and entertaining). Each chapter includes a recipe that is at the heart of what she's sharing - so not only can you travel along with her, you can cook and eat your way along as well! Let me tell you (without giving away anything) that her life growing up was a bit more exciting than most - her extended family being a bit eccentric (some of them in fact mentally ill) with a good deal of travel and time spent abroad.

This would be a great book to read while traveling (or during another activity where you are frequently interrupted) because each chapter can stand alone. I definitely recommend it and look forward to trying some of the recipes! (I'll let you know how they turn out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...